Happy Friday! Tomorrow is a very exciting day. It's the very first National Dance Day!! Created by Nigel Lythgoe of So You Think You Can Dance and in part with the Dizzy Feet Foundation, it is a day to encourage everyone to get up and move. The grassroots movement is working to promote health and self esteem through the art form of dance and create awareness for dance. It's even being recognized by Congress. Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton will be introducing a National Dance Day resolution at a press conference to promote dance education and physical fitness across the United States.
In honor of National Dance Day, the dance troupe I am a part of will be performing. Our church, First Baptist of Orlando, has invited us to perform at the Saturday night and Sunday morning services. We'll be doing a hip hop and lyrical dance. If you want to watch live, go to www.firstorlando.com at 10:45 on Sunday morning and click Watch Live to tune in.
Dance has always had a very special place in my heart. I started dancing at the age of 3 and never stopped. I even minored in dance in college. I am so happy, lucky and blessed to still have the opportunity to dance and perform today!
Fun Facts and Favorite Dances:
- When I was in middle school my teacher had us tap to Workin' 9 to 5 and we had to stuff our bras.
- The dance troupe and I have an obsession with dancing to Michael Buble songs. We love him!
- When I was little we did a jazz dance to Hair and wore crazy wigs.
- Another favorite dance was tapping to Barbie Girl and we were all different Barbies. I was GAP Barbie.
- I despise Cats the musical, but loved the acrobatics dance we did. There was a trampoline behind a brick wall on stage that I got to do a toe touch over. And leopard unitards-meoww!
- I choreographed Annie and Beauty and the Beast when I was in high school.
- I am beyond obsessed with the Radio City Rockettes.
- I LOVE leaps and jumps, but pirouettes not so much.
- I choreographed for Greek Week Dance most years in college—Sig Kap's #1!
- I am called the "jazzerina" in the troupe because I love jazz dance.
- Growing up I took ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical and acrobatics.
Put on your dancing shoes!!!
And break out the tutus, of course.
You'll be glad you did :)